A few weeks back I posted a couple of pictures on Instagram with my hair straightened. Many of you wanted to know what I use/do to get my hair straight without too much damage. I say “too much” because you will always have a little bit of heat damage when you put heat in your hair. If you’re transitioning, don’t use the heat- not worth it girl! When I decide to straighten my hair here is the process:
- Pre-poo hair before washing it using coconut oil. I like to finger detangle my hair using coconut oil. I’ll leave it in all day if I can, if not a minimum of 30 minutes will do.
- Wash hair with shampoo to remove build-up. My hair is very oily so I want to be sure I’m removing all the build-up so my style lasts longer.
- Apply conditioner and detangle.
- Here is the important part that must be done! Be sure you apply a moisturizing hair masque and protein treatment. Since you are applying heat, your hair will lose the moisture and can become weak. Curly hair tends to be dryer anyway so applying more heat may dry out the hair more. This is why it is vital to apply treatments before and after!
- Once I rinse out the treatments, I allow my hair to completely air dry instead of blow drying and then straightening. I like to minimize the amount of heat I use in my hair, allowing it to dry overnight means all I have to do is use the straightener.
- Once hair is completely dry, I brush my hair. Hello fro! 🙂
- Apply a heat-protectant. Don’t forget your ends!
- Straighten awaaaay!
Shop items here:
I can go about 4-5 days with my hair straightened. Once it’s time to wash it out, I repeat steps 1-4! You’re probably like “omg, that’s too much” but I really try to keep my hair as moisturized as I can. No one likes brittle hair though so do it! 🙂
I have some awesome news! 😛 I am starting a youtube channel and wanted to know what you’d like to see on there? Anything from hair, fashion, fitness, lifestyle, etc…I am open to anything but would love your feedback. Leave a comment below or message me.